Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Book Review: Divergent by Veronica Roth


Book Series: Divergent, Book #1
Author: Veronica Roth
Genres: Dystopian, YA
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Emma Galvin
Length: 11 hrs and 11 mins

My Ranking:

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.

During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her.

Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the literary scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.



I loved this book! The world building was pretty mazing. I thought that the faction system was really interesting. How these people had to pick an aspect of themselves and live there lives that according to that one trait. To be always brave, always honest, always peaceful, always selfless or always intelligent; that's asking for so much. And especially the way that the initiation system is run. To choose to stay with the faction/family that you're born into, or to abandon everything you've known to become the person you really are, or at least the person you believe you are inside. And for that choice to be public. To have to stand in front of your entire community and denounce your family, friends and your whole world. The consequences are pretty dire because that choice isn't even the most difficult thing you'll have to do. You then have to prove yourself worthy to your new faction. And if you don't, you become one of the factionless - you become no one, nothing.

I loved Tris so much. It's great that she was such a strong character but was vulnerable, too. There was a realness to her that sometimes is lacking with this type of voice. I think that Tris was a great character because she had the courage to defy expectations and be the person she thought she was. In a society where your life is determined by one guiding principle, you can only imagine how hard her choice was.

The relationship between Tris and Four was pretty amazing. I really enjoyed their chemistry. I believed in the sincerity of their feelings. This was a very volatile world these two characters were thrown into and for them to fall for each other amid the chaos was pretty remarkable. I do believe in the authenticity of their relationship. I don't believe it was a case of circumstance. I believe that if Tris and Four knew found other in Abnegation they still would have had a chance. I hope they last.

An excellent start to the series. I thoroughly enjoyed the development of the story and characters. Tris is someone that I can both admire and root for. I love a strong heroine. Can't wait for the next one!




This audiobook is how I discovered the awesomeness that is Emma Galvin. She brought Tris to life in such an excellent was. There's such conviction in her voice. Her pacing was perfect; she propelled the story forward with the intensity of her tone. I really felt like I was right there, experiencing everything alongside Tris. It was thrilling and I loved every second of it!

Emma is a phenomenal voice actress and my absolute favorite. She's brings her characters to life effortlessly and can capture even the tiniest emotion with her vocal inflection. I have have almost finished every audiobook she's ever read. Yes, she's that good. And if you don't agree, don't even bother saying so. You can't convince me otherwise!




2 comments:

  1. So glad you loved this one! You should definitely try the next one asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually currently reading Allegiant, and am on my last few pages. Insurgent is still probably going to be my favorite, though.

      Delete