Sunday, November 3, 2013

Book Review: Wrangled and Tangled by Lorelei James


Book Series: Blacktop Cowboys, Book #2
Author: Lorelei James
Genres:  Western, Erotica, Contemporary Romance
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Scarlet Chase
Length: 9 hrs and 15 mins

My Ranking:

Wrangling a sweet-talkin’ cowboy can be dangerous business...

The West was not so wild for Janie Fitzhugh. Living with her rancher husband, Abe Lawson, in rural Wyoming nearly broke her spirit, so she left. But eight years later, she returns to Muddy Gap to take a job at a new resort. When an unexpected danger arises, Abe seizes the chance to protect Janie and prove he’s a changed man.

Janie’s employer at the Split Rock Ranch and Resort, Renner Jackson, has gotten himself tangled up in a devil’s bargain trying to finish the construction. His new partner’s daughter, Tierney Pratt, is a spoiled daddy’s girl and off-limits–no matter how drop-dead gorgeous she is. But Tierney’s got her own secret reasons for keeping the rough-and-tumble cowboy at a distance.

When things get down and dirty at the resort, Abe and Renner must saddle up and fight to rope in the women they can’t imagine living without...




DING, DING, DING, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! James hit her stride with this one! Renner Jackson. Wow, just wow. Everything about him oozed charm and sexiness. When he first popped up in the series, I was only marginally intrigued. So you can imagine I was extremely happy to get to know more of his sexy self! I really enjoyed his back story, as well.

And then, there's Tierney. Finally - a woman I connected with. I really understood Tierney. Also, a girl who gave back just as much as these alpha men give ... and then some. Renner and Tierney have the best chemistry out of all of the couples in the series so far - and maybe out of all of James' characters. They do hot and cold so, so well.

Like I mentioned, I connected with Tierney a lot. Especially her late bloomer/virgin storyline. She wasn't all unsure or timid or scared (besides the typical), but someone who just waited until it felt right. Too many people pity - or tease - people who lose their virginity "later" in life. But hey - not everyone just got it over with. James handled Tierney respectfully in this respect and I appreciated it.

As for Janie and Abe... meh. It was a cool story about a former husband and wife getting a second shot. But again, I didn't connect with Janie at all. She made me angry a bit with how she carried herself. I did like Abe, though ... but, that's expected because all of James' cowboys are hot, hot hot! And also his big secret was quite a surprise, but that's all I'll say.

I really liked all of the Split Rock backstory, too. It was interesting to see how the resort came together and how Tierney was brought in as representing the financial end. I hadn't had any exposure to any business dealing like that before. So hey, I learned something - bonus!

This one was funny, heartwarming and was really hot. It was my absolute favorite Blacktop Cowboy's story. I can't wait for Kyle's story. He's one of my favorite guys and deserves a good woman who appreciates him. Hopefully, that's what's in store.

The tiny speck of a town called Muddy Gap, Wyoming holds a special place in my heart. This is one of my favorite series and this book was my absolute favorite. 5 stars, James. It's perfect!



Scarlet Chase is fantastic. She's got a great drawl but still speaks clear. She also is excellent at capturing the masculinity of these charming cowboys. Her performance enhanced my enjoyment of the story so much that I decided to stay "audiobook-loyal" to this series and will not read the printed version.





No comments:

Post a Comment