Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: Reviewing Guilty Pleasures



I created Thoughtful Thursday, because bookish thoughts kept popping up in my mind while reading, and I wanted to explore these questions and get your opinions too!

Each week, I will post a new bookish thought that I will discuss. Everyone is welcome to join. You can do this in two different ways. (1) You can discuss your thoughts in the comment section of the Thoughtful Thursday post. OR (2) You can post your thoughts on your site. If you do option two, please link back to the Thoughtful Thursday post, use the Thoughtful Thursday graphic, and add your name/post to the Linky widget. If the Linky is closed, feel free to add to add the link in the comment section.



This Week's Topic/Question



Do you have guilty pleasure books that you don't review? Do you feel pressured to rate your guilty pleasure books a certain way?




My Answer:

YES!!! The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. I absolutely hated these books when I read them. I remember wanting to drop kick Breaking Dawn into a trash bin after I finished it. I just remember thinking -- what the hell did I just read? Sparkly vampires, vampire skin that gets ripped away like chunks of marble, the vampire version of suicide-by-cop, etc, etc. I had many SMH moments and only read the full series out of morbid curiosity. I disliked them so much, that I never put pen to paper and did a review. I had nothing nice to say, after all, so I choose to say nothing at all.

But then, I watched the movies. At first, there was a lot more snickering and eye rolling. When the films series was completed, however, I purchased all the movies. Strange. Then, I started watching the movies repeatedly and downloaded the entire series' soundtrack ... stranger. Now, I can't stop re-watching my favorite scenes, or listening to my favorite songs because let's face it, the full series' soundtrack was stellar.

I'm not saying the movies made me fan of the story; I've still got my issues. But the movies are definitely one of my guiltiest pleasures. Especially because I've complained about hating the series to so many people (and when I get home, I hit rewind on the films...).

While I'll never reread the books (hence no real reviews), I'll probably continue revisiting the movies. Other than that, I can't think of any other guilty pleasure books that I've read. I used to wonder if I should rate Erotica books when I first started reading the genre not wanting people to know I read it, but I'm over that. 





4 comments:

  1. LOL. I love your response! The Twilight movie is one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies. I wish it was on Netflix, so I could watch it all of the time. I also agree that the soundtracks are really amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela. Glad to know I am not the only one :)

      Delete
  2. I loved that series and hated the movies. That is so funny. I wanted to slap Bella all day long but I still loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I think Meyer took a lot of liberties with the series and they were just harder to swallow when reading the book. I just couldn't visualize a glittering vamp. My brain was like, "does not compute..."

      Yes, Bella deserved some definite slappage.

      Delete