Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cover Characteristic: Children's Books


Hosted by Sugar & Snark

Each week we will post a characteristic and choose 5 of our favorite cover’s with that characteristic. 






#5
Why I Picked It: I've decided to go nostalgic and pick the books from my childhood that I dearly loved. This was one of the earliest series I remember getting into. I know I never finished it - it's over 100 books long. But I do remember being so excited to receive the next chapter of their story on Scholastic Reading delivery days. 

At my elementary school, Scholastic Books newsletters would arrive in class and you'd order books. A few weeks later, they'd get delivered to your class. Those were my favorite days because I always received a box of books, of course! 



#4
Book Title: The Witches
Author: Roald Dahl
Why I Picked It: I love Roald Dahl. Love love love love Roald Dahl. He was and still is one of my favorite authors. He captured the magic of innocence so well in his books and made them so relatable. I love this story so much. I still love to read about magic and witches and i'm pretty sure this is where it stemmed from.

I especially loved the movie -- Angelica Huston is a legend and was spectacular as the Grand High Witch


#3
Book Title: Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club #1)
Author: Ann M. Martin
Why I Picked It: This series was another one of my ongoing Scholastic Reading special deliveries. I loved all of the girls and was ESPECIALLY happy that this series included an African American character, Jessica Ramsey. Race has never been a huge deal for me, but it was nice to see "myself" reflected in the books I read because it wasn't like that in the late 80s/90s.  However, I'm fairly certain Mary Ann was my favorite character. 


#2
Author: R.L. Stine (Twitter)
Why I Picked It: I could not make this list without including this series. It was definitely one that kept my love with reading going, from my tweens into my teens, as I transitioned into the Fear Street series after this one. R.L. Stein  is another one of those authors who just knew how to write for kids and teens. 

I loved the Nickelodeon television series, as well. I still remember the theme song...



TitleMatlida
Author: Roald Dahl

Matilda is a little girl who is far too good to be true. At age five-and-a-half she's knocking off double-digit multiplication problems and blitz-reading Dickens. Even more remarkably, her classmates love her even though she's a super-nerd and the teacher's pet. But everything is not perfect in Matilda's world. For starters she has two of the most idiotic, self-centered parents who ever lived. Then there's the large, busty nightmare of a school principal, Mrs. ("The") Trunchbull, a former hammer-throwing champion who flings children at will and is approximately as sympathetic as a bulldozer. Fortunately for Matilda, she has the inner resources to deal with such annoyances: astonishing intelligence, saintly patience, and an innate predilection for revenge.

She warms up with some practical jokes aimed at her hapless parents, but the true test comes when she rallies in defense of her teacher, the sweet Miss Honey, against the diabolical Trunchbull. There is never any doubt that Matilda will carry the day. Even so, this wonderful story is far from predictable. Roald Dahl, while keeping the plot moving imaginatively, also has an unerring ear for emotional truth. The reader cares about Matilda because in addition to all her other gifts, she has real feelings.(less)


Why I Picked It: When I was a kid, I wanted to be Matilda. I loved her passion for books and learning. I loved her fearless nature. I loved everything about her, especially her happy ending. 











 Matilda by Roald Dahl

Matilda




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment