Saturday, February 8, 2014

Book Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth (SPOILERS!!!)


Book Series: Divergent, Book #3
Author: Veronica Roth
Genres: Dystopian, YA
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Emma Galvin & Aaron Stanford
Length: 11 hrs and 55 mins

Allegiant (Divergent #3)

My Ranking:
:

What if your whole world was a lie?

What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?

What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected? The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.




To be honest, I don't even know what to say. I suppose no one would be shocked to hear that this was not the ending I expected. How could anyone see this coming?

To finally know what Divergent meant was, at first, upsetting. I thought - that's it? This is the big reveal? I was let down to say the least. Then I thought more about the themes of the series - the examination of human nature and community, your perceived image of the world you live in and yourself, prejudice and most of all, choice. Then it made sense. All Divergence boiled down to was genetics - what that meant was up to you. Everything was a matter of choice and consequence. Choosing Day, Your Faction, Passing Initiation, etc, etc.

What I can say is that the setting of the final book was not what I wanted. When they finally arrived at the compound and learned about the outside world and the experiments, I wanted the gang to run back into Chicago. Because,for me, the story died a little bit here. It was diluted in all this back story I cared little about. I wanted to know more about this history of the factions. about Janine and her true endgame, and most of all, what was it all for? I never understood what David was looking for in Chicago. Was it really the Divergent? Because he didn't do much to help them...

However, still found interesting to see what the world outside of the experiments was. Even more so to know that being Divergent means something good. It makes more sense why Jeanine wanted to do away with all of them. I can only imagine what the whole city would think to learn that they have unhealed genes. Quite a frightening thought after considering Tobias reaction.

I loved the dual narration. Four is such an amazing character. He, for me, felt the most real and substantial throughout. Wise beyond his years, strong and vulnerable. It was obviously necessary because of Tris's heartbreaking sacrifice. For her to be killed in the end was just awful, but probably the best way to end things. I just hate that Four is alone. I also dislike that out of all the Priors, it's Caleb alive in the end. Boo!

Unfortunately, I fell left with a lot of questions. This is never a good sign when it comes to the last book in a trilogy. Also, I felt cheated with Tris's death. I got the closure I wanted with Four but for Tris her death was so sudden. I don't know if I liked it in the end...




I didn't have any part in it, but I know fans of the series were responsible for Aaron Stanford being the voice of Four. He was sensational. He's perfect; exactly how I'd imagine him in my head. He effortlessly balanced Four's strength with his youth and vulnerability. Four, to me, has a very old soul and I think Aaron captured that effortlessly.

Emma Galvin is a phenomenal voice actress and my absolute favorite. She's brings her characters to life effortlessly, and can capture even the tiniest emotion with her vocal inflection. I have have almost finished every audiobook she's ever read. Yes, she's that good. And if you don't agree, don't even bother saying so. You can't convince me otherwise!




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment