Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: How many books do you read at a time?



I created Thoughtful Thursday, because bookish thoughts kept popping up in my mind while reading, and I wanted to explore these questions and get your opinions too!

Each week, I will post a new bookish thought that I will discuss. Everyone is welcome to join. You can do this in two different ways. (1) You can discuss your thoughts in the comment section of the Thoughtful Thursday post. OR (2) You can post your thoughts on your site. If you do option two, please link back to the Thoughtful Thursday post, use the Thoughtful Thursday graphic, and add your name/post to the Linky widget. If the Linky is closed, feel free to add to add the link in the comment section.



This Week's Topic/Question



How many books do you read at a time? Is there a preferred number?




My Answer:

Waaaaaaaaay more than I should these days, lol. For most of my life, I read just one at a time. Over the past few years, however, I made the astounding leap to about 3-6 at a time - sometimes more. The culprits: (1) doing reading challenges on Goodreads and the like, and (2) all the different formats of books I now read (audiobook, e-book, etc).

With the latter, it's really hard to not want to jump into new books when I've got so many wonderful ways to read multiple stories. It's a rare thing for me to not listen to an audiobook whenever I'm in my car, whether it's something new or revisiting a beloved series. At lunch, during my work week, I'll read something else via the various apps on my iPhone (iBooks, Nook, Kindle). So -- I'd even say I read from at least 2 books on any given day. Sounds like a lot, but I've been doing it so long it feels normal.

Additionally, now that I've started a blog I felt compelled to read even more books to keep it fresh. Which has only led to me reading even more books at a time. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because I feel more excited than overwhelmed :)

The speed in which i finish books, however, has slowed considerably. Which you might think would lead to me actually wanting to read fewer books at a time to finish more. But alas, I cannot. The unread books call to me and resistance, it appears, is futile. 






4 comments:

  1. My reading has slowed down to. I wish I could read much faster than I do now. I also have an audiobook on in the car at all times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Sometimes it feels like I'm always reading but never finishing anything...

      Delete
  2. Your response made me laugh, because I feel I read too many different books at a time too. I am glad that I am not the only blogger who feels compelled to read lots of different books at the same time to keep her blog fresh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one either...

      Delete