Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Book Review: Attachments by Rainbow Rowell


Title: Attachments
Author: Rainbow Rowell (Twitter)
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Format: ebook (Amazon)
Length: 327 pages
Release Date: April 14, 2014
"Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you . . . "

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder know that somebody is monitoring their work e-mail. (Everybody in the newsroom knows. It's company policy.) But they can't quite bring themselves to take it seriously. They go on sending each other endless and endlessly hilarious e-mails, discussing every aspect of their personal lives.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill can't believe this is his job now- reading other people's e-mail. When he applied to be "internet security officer," he pictured himself building firewalls and crushing hackers- not writing up a report every time a sports reporter forwards a dirty joke.

When Lincoln comes across Beth's and Jennifer's messages, he knows he should turn them in. But he can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.

By the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late to introduce himself.

What would he say . . . ?



FIRST IMPRESSION:: Jennifer and Beth are my kind of people! I love their banter immediately! This is such an interesting approach to a story. It's simple and yet, perfect. Pulled me right in. Jennifer and Beth are my kind of people! Their email exchanges are so entertaining. I love their humor, their wit and there pop culture references (hell yes STYX's Renegade is an amazing song). I can see how Lincoln couldn't stay away.

THE STORY:: Lincoln is a fantastic lead. He made me smile just as much as he made me cringe. Not because I didn't like him, but because I related to him ... a little too well. Not enough friends, no social life, haven't dated in a few years with minimal dating experience to boot, no clue what he is/should be doing with his life and feeling as if he missed his "getting-a-life" opportunity. Yipes ... that is frighteningly accurate account at how I feel right now. This is part of why I why I love Rainbow's writing style. It's' so unabashedly real. Her characters are so rich, real and raw. I love it.

Enough introspection, let's get back to my man Linc. Aside from his sometimes cringeworthy aspects, I absolutely loved Lincoln. Definitely my newest book boyfriend. He is just so genuine and sweet, awkward and kind. And his physical description sounds like my type. Swooning pretty bad over here.

I loved the pace of Lincoln and Beth's love story. I do think that this is the perfect way for Lincoln to have met Beth. I honestly don't think that he would have given himself the time to get to know her. I feel like their encounter would have been similar to what happened with Dena's friend. Also, when we first meet Lincoln he was two disillusioned with life and love. He had to reconcile his Sam demons. I'm so glad that he did; that girl was awful. 

I won't lie. I started to panic when I got to the end of the book and Lincoln just quit his job and gave up. I thought he might end up with someone else. Like the tiny copy editor. Also, I was thinking why the bleep did Lincoln never ask Doris to introduce him to Beth. Or hint that he liked her? Doris would have definitely been his in-office wingman!

FINAL THOUGHTS:: One of the things I love best about Rainbow's writing is that she loves the things I love. More specifically, the time period I love -- the 80's and 90's. Take this quote that had me freakishly grinning: “Do you remember how big you were in the sixth grade? You were ‘My Motherfucking Bodyguard.’ Look, you’re going out tonight. With me and Dena.” I'm pretty sure this is in reference to the movie, My Bodyguard, which I loved. How could I not; it starred Adam Baldwin (aka Jayne from Firefly). And it was made in the 80s, my favorite era for all things musical and cinematic.  

I loved this book down it it''s last sentence. "There's no air in space." It's all about context people . I dare you not to fall out of your chair when reading this. 

RECOMMENDED FOR:: Lovers of humor and wit and slow-burn romances. Those who love a little dork with their heroes.




"Don’t tell me how to raise my son.”
“He’s twenty-eight years old,” Eve said. “Your job is done. He’s risen.”
“Like Jesus,” Jake said.
“Not like Jesus,” Eve said.”

“Lincoln quickly looked up from the floor. His mother was already looking down at him like she’d just confronted him with damning criminal evidence. Like it was clear he’d done it with the candlestick in the conservatory, and she had the candlestick to prove it.”

“They all wanted “smoky eyes”—“you know, like Helen Hunt at the Oscars.” I’m pretty sure that my sister Gwen and I are the only ones who won’t look like domestic abuse victims in the wedding pictures."
― Beth

“His computer skills awed the office ladies. They treated him like Gandalf”




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment