Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Quickie Review: A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1) by Bella Forrest

Genres: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance
Format: Audiobook (Amazon | Audible)
Length: 3 hours & 52 minutes
Release Date: November 11, 2014




On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...Or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?



I will admit, I had no idea what this book was about when I pushed play. All I saw was narrated by Emma Galvin and Zachary Webber  two of my favorite narrators  and I was immediately in.

The story was quick and so was the plot. There's not much to say. Girl (Sofia) gets kidnapped by vampires, girl made personal slave to King Vamp (Derek), they fall in love, and oh yeah, King Vamp crazy bro tries to eat her. Everything happened so fast. Two fast. What was it, two weeks? Definitely not long enough for me to

I like both Sofia & Derek from on a basic level. But there wasn't any meat to there characters. Nothing to really hold to. I am half convinced that it was Emma and Zach's portrayals that made me perk up and listen, rather than the actual content.

The world building was pretty interesting. Vampire harem on a magical island with kidnapped, human slaves. And Derek being the Vamps reluctant hero, resisting his baser nature to feed and be a predator. Sofia being not the typical damsel in distress. This makes for a good foundation but not much more than that.

Overall, I found this book just OK, but with just enough of a dash of intrigue as to what happens next. Seeing as I have Book #2, I'll probably give the next book a go to see where things go. It's significantly longer story, so I'm hoping the story overall is better developed.


A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1)    A Shade of Vampire (A Shade of Vampire #1)




EMMA GALVIN & ZACHARY WEBBER are fantastic narrators. I love Emma so much. I was first introduced for her narration of the Divergent series. And Zachary, from Breakable, part of the Contours of the Heart series, by Tammara Webber. They did a great job, but I'm biased. Kate's appearance was too small to comment on.




Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment