Friday, March 21, 2014

Book Beginnings & The Friday 56: Flowers for Algernon


"Book Beginnings" is a weekly event, hosted by Rose City Reader:

Rules

Please join me every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires.

"The Friday 56" is a weekly event, hosted by Freda's Voice:

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
*Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post to Freda's Voice's Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.


My Pick This Week: 



Book TitleFlowers for Algernon
Author: Daniel Keyes
Genres: Classic, Science Fiction
Release DateMay 1, 2005 (first published 1966)



With more than five million copies sold, Flowers for Algernon is the beloved, classic story of a mentally disabled man whose experimental quest for intelligence mirrors that of Algernon, an extraordinary lab mouse.

In poignant diary entries, Charlie tells how a brain operation increases his IQ and changes his life. As the experimental procedure takes effect, Charlie's intelligence expands until it surpasses that of the doctors who engineered his metamorphosis.

The experiment seems to be a scientific breakthrough of paramount importance—until Algernon begins his sudden, unexpected deterioration.

Will the same happen to Charlie?


“Dr Strauss says I shoud rite down what I think and remembir and evrey thing that happins to me from now on. I dont no why but he says its importint so they will see if they can use me. I hope they use me becaus Miss Kinnian says mabye they can make me smart. I want to be smart.”
~pg. 1 
“Maybe I'll understand it when Dr. Strauss lets me read up on psychology. It's getting harder for me to write down all my thoughts and feelings because I know that people are reading them.”  
~pg. 56

This has made for a really interesting read... It really makes you think. I am enjoying it but I gotta hurry up and finish fast since the book club I'm reading it for meets ... Tommorrow! Proscrastionation has me in its clutches once again ;)









Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I knew reading the title it was popular but had know idea just how much. Great snippets!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic story. A classic! In case you didn't know, a movie based on the book was made quite a few years back. It was named "Charly" and starred Cliff Robertson. By the way, I wouldn't call it Young Adult because I think all ages would enjoy it.
    My Friday post features a short story this week: INTERCEPTION.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I finished it today. It's a wonderful story.Thanks for the movie tip. I agree about the "YA" rating; I was lazy and stole that from Goodreads or something. Definitely not YA but something that should be read by young adults, maybe younger.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite books. Beautiful and heartbreaking.
    You can find my Friday post here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh... I just finished it and was burst into tears at the end. So good but so sad!

      Delete