Sunday, November 2, 2014

Audiobook Review: Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin #8) by Jennifer Estep

Title: Deadly Sting
Book Series: Elemental Assassin, Book #8
Genres: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal
Format: Audiobook (AmazonAudible)
Narrators: Lauren Fortgang
Length: 11 hours & 6 minutes
Release Date: March 26, 2013

Red is definitely my color. Good thing, because in my line of work, I end up wearing it a lot.
Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me— Gin Blanco, aka the Spider—it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’s priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place

Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color.



FIRST IMPRESSIONS:: i love the book cover and how it ties with this story. No question, you can see that this is a story about one badass chick.

Chapter One was cute. Nice introduction back into the world of Gin and Finn. I love their banter, and Finn in general. He takes being self-conceit to a whole new level, but still remains loveable and charming.
THE STORY:: This story, for me, fell flat because of how linear it was. Very "straight forward and to the point" plot-wise. I was a bit bored the whole time thinking 'this that's it. Really?' The entire book is one event long: Gin attends event, said event is robbed, chaos ensues. Throw in a somewhat resolution to the "will they, won't they" question about Gin and Owen's relationship and a flashback montage into how Gin came to be the spider and ... The End. Yes, that sentence was as abrupt as my reaction was to getting to the end of this book.


The only thing I can hope is that maybe this is the true end of the original story arc. With Mab Monroe's death and Owen and Gin's relationship on the rocks,  for the last few books there was a lot of loose ends dangling about. But when I came to the end of this one, I felt some things had been wrapped up. 


FINAL THOUGHTS:: This series has made a distinct impression on me. I'm not the type to scream in outrage, but the men in Gin's life often let her down in horrible ways. Especially Donovan Caine. Uggggh. Just thinking about him makes me shiver in disgust. His feelings toward Gin were so spectacularly judgmental and cruel. He made her out to be this twisted, evil temptress who lured him into a trap and played her up to be this horrible creature who had him in her snares He just couldn't help being attracted even though he despised her. Never had I wanted to jump through the pages and wring someones neck so much-- he was a colossal jackass through and through.

All that said, I was dumbstruck when it appeared as if Owen was heading in the same direction over his feeling toward Gin because of Selena's death. Especially since he seemed so far from the colossal jerk Donovan Caine. But, he's just heartbroken and traumatized. i get that and I can live with it. 

Without revealing too much, the "new guilt" that Gin gains in this book got really repetitive. I didn't really get where she was coming from either. 

RECOMMENDED FOR:: Urban Fantasy lovers who like heroes they can root for and appreciate their fantasy grounded in some good foundation when it comes to realism. Part of what makes this series so great is that there's just as much action and magic as there is character development and story. Estep has created this interesting world and continually gives us little nibbles of detail with each book. It's a great balance, getting learn more about Gin's past and her present concurrently.




I love Lauren's narration of these characters and this story. Eight books in,  she of course has a good handle on them, but I appreciate it nonetheless. I'm like a kid, loving when narrators do distinct voices for central characters and I think Finn's is especially spot on. Another great interpretation; I'm definitely audiobook loyal to this series. 




“Have I ever told you how scary it is that you think of heels in terms of their possible shiv potential?” 
― Finn



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment