Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Quickie Review: Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern


Author: Cecelia Ahern (Twitter)
Genres: Chick Lit, Contemporary Romance
Format: ebook (Amazon)
Length: 443 pages
Release Date: December 1, 2006

Reading Challenges: 2015 Goodreads Challenge
Sometimes you have to look at life in a whole new way...

Rosie and Alex are destined for one another, and everyone seems to know it but them. Best friends since childhood, their relationship gets closer by the day, until Alex gets the news that his family is leaving Dublin and moving to Boston. At 17, Rosie and Alex have just started to see each other in a more romantic light. Devastated, the two make plans for Rosie to apply to colleges in the U.S.

She gets into Boston University, Alex gets into Harvard, and everything is falling into place, when on the eve of her departure, Rosie gets news that will change their lives forever: She's pregnant by a boy she'd gone out with while on the rebound from Alex.

Her dreams for college, Alex, and a glamorous career dashed, Rosie stays in Dublin to become a single mother, while Alex pursues a medical career and a new love in Boston. But destiny is a funny thing, and in this novel, structured as a series of clever e-mails, letters, notes, and a trail of missed opportunities, Alex and Rosie find out that fate isn't done with them yet.



I have mixed feelings about this book. There were a lot of things that I liked. i really enjoyed the format a lot more than I thought I would. With all the emails, instant messages, formal and handwritten letters, nothing felt out of place. It all flowed together nicely.

I really liked getting to experience the relationship of Rosie and Alex change overtime. It seemed very realistic. I also love seeing her daughter, Katie, experience a similar friendship in her life. But I also feel like the story didn't really go anywhere. The years passed by and it felt like Rosie did nothing but complain for like 30 years. I found Rosie, well, annoying.

My dislike for her affected my overall enjoyment of this otherwise humorous book. I really liked Ruby, Alex and even Katie. For me, Rosie spent them majority of her time ranting, complaining and being indecisive. Granted she relayed her life in a snarky, sarcastic way; but she quickly lost her charm.  I just found it hard to sympathize with her. Especially how she talked about Katie. Yes,  she sacrificed a lot for Katie. But it  always felt like she resented her for it. Maybe that's how parents feel, I don't know.

In the end, I found this book just okay.


Love, Rosie    Love, Rosie





Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment